While I am no expert, here’s how I form my pizza crusts.
Method – Forming your pizza crust
- Start by cutting your dough into two even halves.
- Return half to your bowl and cover.
- Roll the other half of the dough into a ball.
- With your fingers press the sides of the dough ball to start forming your crust. Try not to press down on your crust after this point.
- Press down on the middle of your dough with your palm to start flattening and forming somewhat of a circle.
- The idea is to get the air bubbles in your dough to your crust while stretching to your desired thickness.
Method – Stretching
- With the side of your hand, press along the edges of your crust to further define it.
- At this point, you can toss your dough in the air with a circular motion (I have no photos of me doing this but there are ton’s of YouTube videos on how to do this.)
- You can also let gravity do some of the work by slowly turning your dough in a circle while allowing it to hang off the edge of your counter.
If you get a hole in your dough, take extra dough from your crust to patch the hole. Be sure to use plenty of flour on your surface to prevent sticking. If you are making this pizza for later, your next step is to partially bake your dough alone. Head over to Freezing 101 to see what to do.